Down to work (and the wood).  

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm finally settling into the routine of fieldwork again after a week in Atlin, but the hot weather has sapped my energy really fast - there's still a lot of snow on northern aspects, so we've been sticking to south faces up high in the alpine, where the sun beats down on us all day long. I'm not complaining - just tired.

The town of Atlin, from the morning helicopter trip to work:
20090605_Atlin_Dominion_7142_1000

The view from my "office" - Surprise Lake:
DSC_7088_1000-2

More words and photos in the full post:


We went out to the Globe Theatre last night to check out a performance by the Edmonton based bluegrass group Down to the Wood, passing through town on their way to the Kluane Mountain Bluegrass Festival this week in Haines Junction, YT. I'm not big into bluegrass so I can't give much of an informed review, but the guys were funny, played some killer music, and were well received by the crowd - I might have to start taking my dad's advice and listen to more bluegrass... Me and the family headed out to a little jam sesh after the show, where we stayed up til the wee hours of the morning jamming with a group of extremely talented musicians (I definitely don't include myself in that category), and even got a free lesson on upright bass from the band; much appreciated, thanks guys! I used to play quite a bit of bass, but haven't in years - the upright makes me want to get back into it asap. Just what I needed, another expensive hobby...

Atlin Mountain at sunrise from the Monarch Mtn trail. I was wondering how I would ever bring myself to wake up at 4am to get a sunrise shot... problem solved last night - go to bed at 530am...
20090607_Atlin_7498_1000

A woodpecker hangs from a homemade feeder:
DSC_7129_1000

Decades of living off the land has led to quite the impressive collection of antlers above my grandparents woodshed:
DSC_7135_1000


1 comments: to “ Down to work (and the wood).