So much for photo-a-day...  

Friday, April 20, 2007

Pentax K10D - DA 18-55
Well, so much for posting a new photo every day... Heres a shot of Vancouver from western Kits beach, converted from DNG. I have to say a word about RAW here... if you aren't shooting RAW yet, especially if you own a K10D... wake up! It took me a few months to finally realize the benefits, but now that I have I'm not going back.


2 comments: to “ So much for photo-a-day...

  • PhotoDiarist
    April 21, 2007 at 2:02 AM  

    Nice pic.

    When I eventually get a DSLR (was actually looking at a bunch in the store this afternoon) I will consider shooting with RAW.

    But how on earth do you handle those crazy file sizes? I've got a 120GB external hard drive fitted in a case to plug in memory cards and offload directly, 1GB/minute, but 120GB limits how many RAW files you can keep...

  • Andrew Strain
    April 21, 2007 at 7:02 AM  

    My DNG files are 16mb. Ive stopped shooting jpegs with the RAW to save file space, and I'm also alot more critical now with the photos I keep, both after the shot and once they're on the computer. I mean, honestly... I don't need alot of the photos I take anyway, so why keep them around wasting space?

    As for storage, I have two 2gb SD cards (about 110 photos each) and 2 320gb external SATA drives, one of which is a backup. It's not an ideal setup, but my current computer limits my options.

    A 320gb seagate with an eSATA enclosure costs me about 150 bucks, or $.50 a gb. Believe me, RAW is so much better, that the extra cost of storage is worth it. There is just so much more colour, dynamic range, detail, etc to work with...